Saturday, August 4, 2012

Getting Started

Welcome to my first blog post!  Let me introduce myself: my name is Suzann Keith and I am a high school English and middle school language arts/reading teacher who loves teaching classical literature and writing using modern technology.

I started teaching in 1994 and the technology available to me at the time consisted of an overhead projector in my classroom and a Macintosh LC computer at home.  No one had ever heard of the Internet, and the copy machine didn’t even collate and staple your copies for you!

Now, of course, I use the Internet all day long, I have a MacBook Pro laptop, a document camera and an LCD projector in my classroom (in addition to the TV, VCR, DVD player and overhead projector that are collecting dust).  The copy machine now collates, staples, and even hole punches!  What a difference a decade (or almost two) makes!

I love technology and discovering new ways to integrate it into my classroom.  I’m not a techie, but when I hear about or see something new, I am pretty quick to figure it out and implement it.  The Internet and Web 2.0 tools in particular have really helped me to keep my teaching fresh and current, and after 17 years in the classroom, that’s important.

I’d like to use this blog to reflect on my own teaching, help inform others of how one (brave) teacher uses technology in her classroom, and connect with other braver teachers out there who are paving the way.

Let the blog begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment